Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: Maid of Fairbourne Hall

Yesterday after work I headed to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner and pulled out the book I've been carrying around with me just in case I have a few minutes to myself.  Currently, I am reading The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen.  I spent some time over dinner reading, then went next door to Caribou for a cup of tea and more reading time.

After that I headed home and quickly settled in.  I did a few things but couldn't wait to get back to my book.  I kept reading a chapter and then checking the time to see how close it was to when I needed to turn off the light and go to sleep.  But I couldn't put it down.  Finally, even though I still have about a third of the book left to read, I decided I really had to go to bed so I would be able to get up for work in the morning (it was about 1 - 2 hours after I usually would turn in).



I really enjoy Julie Klassen's books.  She does great research and she weaves what she learns into each story beautifully.  Her books are set in Jane Austen's England and each is filled with plenty of mystery to keep you guessing.  I hope she reaches her goal of writing two books per year instead of one.

I can't wait to get done with work today so I can go home and finish The Maid of Fairbourne Hall.  I am truly enjoying learning about life as a 19th century servant and all of the goings-on in an English manor.  I would definitely recommend all of Julie Klassen's books.  They are delightful!


From the publisher's website, here is a little about each of Julie's books:

Sprinkled with fascinating details about the lives of women in Regency England, Lady of Milkweed Manor is a moving romantic drama about the redemption of past failings and the beauty of sacrificial love.

The Apothecary's Daughter dives into the world of doctors and apothecaries (pharamicists of old) while following Lilly in her quest for truth and adventure.

Moving, mysterious, and romantic, The Silent Governess takes readers inside the intriguing life of a nineteenth-century governess in an English manor house where all is not as it appears.

Intriguing, mysterious, and romantic, The Girl in the Gatehouse takes readers inside the life of a secret authoress at a time when novel-writing was considered improper for ladies and the smallest hint of impropriety could change a woman's life forever.

Brimming with romance and danger, The Maid of Fairbourne Hall takes readers inside the fascinating belowstairs world of a 19th-century English manor, where appearances can be deceiving.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review. So glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete